"Come to the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum!"
Village Captial Campaign
In April 2009, the Pitt County Commissioners deeded 5.6 acres of land on County Home Road to the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum 1840 -1940 after the Village hit fundraising targets of $232,000; which equaled the amount needed to relocate to its current home. Through concerted efforts such as these and the generosity of supporters and volunteers, the Village continues to preserve and interpret small town and agricultural life in Pitt County and eastern North Carolina from 1840 - 1940.
Help us Preserve the Past for the Future...
You can donate to the Village by using the Paypal Donate button above or please send contributions to:
Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum
PO Box 2740
Greenville, NC 27836-0470
The Village is a 501(c)(3) non-profit with Tax ID No. 56-1732243
Turnage Family Makes Donation to the Village
The family of Les Turnage, co-founder of the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum, presented the Village Board with $10,000. Board member and daughter Pam Turnage Finch made the announcement at the July 2009 Board meeting for herself and her family: brothers Ed Turnage and David Turnage, his widow Mrs. Irene Turnage of Greenville, and daughter Sue Turnage Hood of Georgia. Les Turnage, owner of a real estate and insurance company in Greenville, was born in Pitt County. Some of the artifacts in the Village such as the water tower are from his family's farm.
Major Greenville Foundations put Village on the Map
In 2009, three major foundations located in Greenville announced awards to the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum amounting to $175,000, The West Memorial Fund, which was begun by former Greenville mayor and businessman and his wife, Eugene and Vivian West, gave $50,000. The Mildred Sheffield Wells Charitable Trust, originated by former philanthropic Greenville resident Mildred Wells, presented $50,000. A gift of $75,000 came from the James J. and Mamie Richardson Perkins Charitable Trust. Mr. Perkins had extensive farming interests in the County. The Board of Trustees for these three foundations are noted for their interests in preservation and education. These gifts pushed the Village past its fundraising goal of $232,000 for moving its buildings and artifacts to its new home on County Home Road.
Pitt Commissioners Deed Land to Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum
In April 2009, the Pitt County Commissioners deeded 5.6 acres of land on County Home Road to the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum. The property is located between the Wintergreen School and the Farmers' Market and has a market value of $300,000.
In November 2008, the Pitt County Commissioners promised the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum the County Home Road site if it could raise the $232,000 needed to move its buildings and artifacts from the Fairgrounds by March 2010.
Bob Shackleford kicks off Village Fundraising Campaign with $15,000
Robert Shackleford, a member of the board of directors for the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum, kicked off the 2008 fundraising campaign to move the Village to a new home on County Home Road. Mr. Shackleford presented checks totaling $15,000 toward the effort during a ceremony at the site. He spoke about the importance of the village's new home and the continued opportunity to preserve the area's history.
Mr. Shackleford is a native of Pitt County who worked summers on his grandfather's farm. He grew up in Greenville in the 50's and is a graduate of Greenville High
School. Today he lives in Raleigh and is the president of his electrical contracting company, Bryant-Durham Electrical, in Durham, North Carolina.
Pitt County Farm Bureau Donates $10,000
In December of 2008, the Pitt County Farm Bureau presented $10,000 to the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum to use to move the village to a new location on County Home Road. They are a team of insurance professionals dedicated to protecting what matters most to you and your family. They pride themselves with quality products and service designed to meet all of your insurance needs.
The Minges Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company Donates $10,000
In January of 2009, the Minges Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company gave the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum $10,000 to assist with their move to a new home at 4570 County Home Road. Minges Bottling Group prides itself on staying active in their communities both professionally and philanthropically. They are very proud of the communities in which they work and live.
From left, Robert Halstead, incoming president of the Farm Bureau, and McDaniel Wynne, president of the Farm Bureau, present the check to Village Board president Joanne Honeycutt. Also shown are
Village Board member Bill Kittrell, Bureau treasurer Kirby Bell, and Pat James, women's committee member.
Bob Shackleford (far right) presents checks to President, Joanne Honeycutt
(center) as board members Karen Nethercutt and Jack Taft look on with Phil
The Eddie and Jo Allison Smith Family Foundation, Inc., Donates $10,000
In 2009, the Eddie and Jo Allison Smith Family Foundation, Inc., donated to the Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum $10,000 to move the Village from the Pitt County American Legion Agricultural Fairgrounds to its present home on County Home Road. The Smith Foundation's gift has helped to preserve the buildings and artifacts, reflecting the life of past generations in eastern North Carolina.